Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gifts from the Heart

When given the opportunity some people love to show their affection or thankfulness in lots of different ways.  Anne and I are given weekly Sprites and Snickers from Glenn who likes to show his gratitude by bringing us things he can buy with his food stamps. Sometimes we will be sneakily handed a 5 dollar bill or some change which we try to not accept but if that is how someone wants to say thank you than we do not want to insult them. The tips normally go into the "After Work Margarita!" jar :) Sandra (the lady who loves the color purple) went out and bought Anne, Emily and I our very own purple shirts. The shirts are a bit small but we wear them under our work shirts some times so when she comes we can show her we have them on. For Valentines Day, Lane gave us Christmas cards with the 'Christmas' crossed out and replaced with 'Valentines Day.' Billy gives out necklaces to everyone (except Don) who works at the Harry Tompson center. These necklaces are very special to him and have come from the, "depths of the bayou, while i was out alligator hunting (says Billy)." Herbert and Taushiem made me flowers out of toilet paper. We are given books in all shapes sizes and conditions. Beads beads and more beads, all year round. And today Roxanne came up to me right before lunch started and handed me a large plastic bag with a painting in it. I was not sure what it was at first but thanked her and told her how it was not necessarily but she insisted that i deserve it. She wanted to do something special for me after everything i have done for her. I pulled the painting out of the bag later and discovered this gem of a painting! Its a rather large replica of a Jesus painting that you can find in just about every GoodWill, Salvation Army, thrift store, back yard, garage, grandmothers basement, convent (Sister Mags said they have one in her house), and now the JV's house in New Orleans. 

If not the best gift from this year, at least the most memorable!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes and Oh Yes! That picture of you holding the beloved Jesus tells the whole story! My laugh out loud part of your detailed description was of all the places you might come across this great masterpiece. JVC is so lucky since without you I'm not sure they would have received such an awesome gift! He's looking at you too, I'm sure you planned that knowing you. love MOM

Daniel McKenna III said...

OMG! That's the picture my mom had in her bedroom, and when my little brother was wisked to Children's Hospital with spinal menengitis and only had a 40% chance of surviving; I was in my mom's room and my parents were at the hospital with him in Boston; well, the picture actually glowed a little bit brighter, then the phone rang and it was my mom telling me my brother came out of the coma, the fever subsided and he had no brain damage and was ooing to be alright; I said "Mom, your picture of Jesus was just glowing!" Mom believed me..