Sunday, July 1, 2012

Appreciate

The word appreciate has taken on a different meaning for me this year. Well, actually, it has taken on more meaning. I used to use the word 'appreciate' to describe a past event or act of kindness someone had showed me. "I appreciated the help with dinner last night." Now I see it used in New Orleans as a word to replace 'Thank You.' One of my favorite New Orleans phrases is, " A'hh appreciate ya!" At first I did not really understand what that meant or why people didn't just say 'Thank you.' "I appreciate you," sounded odd and almost overly grateful. But after hearing it enough, and in context, I realized how significant it is. I appreciate you. I appreciate what you have done for me. I appreciate your generosity. It is more than just a 'thank you for what you have given me,' but rather it is an appreciation for your help, your life, you. I think it sounds a bit too New Orleanian for me to go around saying, " A'hh appreciate yahh," (I can imitate the accent but I cannot pull off the true New Orleans drawl) so I have found myself saying, "I appreciate it," after someone helps me. An offer to do the dishes: "I appreciate it." Helpful advice: "I appreciate it." A generous gift: "I really appreciate it." I feel as though it holds more meaning. Pleases and thank yous are important and imperative to a polite interaction (thanks Nana and Baba for helping me to see their value) but an appreciation for someone is invaluable.

A'hh appreciate Ya'll!

1 comment:

Daniel McKenna III said...

Well, Julie, if you look at the etymology of the word, it contains the word "Precious" with the "a" before it which means "apply to or give to" so, you have made the person precious by appreciating them; but I hate it when bums ask me for something and then say that they will appreciate it; it implies that I will only become precious if I give them that dollor or that cigarette...it's too conditional for me...just my opinion...