Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oh The Treasures You Find

Oh the treasures you find and the gifts you are given. I mean this in many ways.  Each person i meet is a treasure in their own way, a special, God created, treasure: whether they spill shampoo all over you in the morning, complain about not getting any socks, get angry that you didn't do their laundry, or give you a big hug just because, they are all treasures to me. 

One of the reasons i love working at HTC is because no two days are EVER alike! There is always a new adventure to deal with, new people to talk to, or new treasures.  I really do not think i will ever be very good at working at a desk simply because i love the fresh air too much.  Being outside working with people is where i shine best.  And i cannot say this enough, no two days are similar here but each is a treasure. 

Then there are the actual treasures that you are given as gifts.  The other day a guest came up to me and gave me a funny little horse toy.  I really have no idea how to explain it but its basically a wire horse about 3 inches long.  He asked first if i liked horses and when i said yes he presented the toy to me.  (He first tyred giving it to Anne, but she did not say that she liked horses.  It may have been a peace offering because he was in a bad mood the day before haha).  Sometimes the gift may be a cookie, a can of soda, or a peppermint.  Then there are the gifts that come in the form of pieces of art!  During my first week someone gave me a picture that they had colored in. It was one of the line drawings that kids get with meals at restaurants and normally come with a box of crayons.  It is now hanging on my wall.  Last week Anne, Ellie and i were given paper butterfly's made out of magazine pages that also hang on our wall. 

Some of the treasures that come our way are found objects.  The laundry seems to collect the most because people forget what is in their pockets when their laundrey goes in the washers and dryers.  I find the best treasures in the dryers.  Most of the time i find old papers, lighters, and pennies but sometimes i get something more interesting.  I found $100 the other day (in the form of a Las Vegas game chip).  Then there was a very large Lima bean (painted green and slightly burnt because it went through the dryer).  Oh and the tooth, the molar, complete with a big cavity (Dr. Rick was clearly needed about a month ago to take care of it before it fell out and ended up in someones pocket, as their treasure).  There are many found treasures at HTC, most go unnoticed or are picked up by someone else, but then there are the few that make it into the office and become our treasures. 

I have found many treasures here in many different forms.  Every moment here is time to be cherished and grateful for.  Most people here have few possessions but the bags that they carry and the objects they own are their treasures.  The gifts i am given and the kind words that are said to me are my treasures.  But more so are my memories.  Anne and i have begun to journal about the moments and funny quotes from our day to days lives here.  We usually go get daiquiris on a Friday afternoon, sit in a nice place, and reminisce for hours, making sure to write down all of the treasured moments from the week :D  I

t will be fun to go back years from now and remember all of the treasures!

Go find some treasure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A treasure is a great single word to descibe how I feel about you being my daughter. So glad you're my treasure. I love you.